You might have come across the term ‘display home’ while house hunting and wondered, ‘What’s that all about?’
Display homes are fully constructed and furnished houses designed to showcase the features and designs of residential development. These homes help prospective home buyers visualise their potential home and experience the quality they can expect from the developer.
Often, they’re equipped with interior and exterior finishing, furniture, and landscaping to give a complete look and feel.
By the end of this article, you’ll understand how a display home can help in your quest for the perfect family home.
Where you can find display homes
Here are some places where you can find display homes:
- At home builders’ developments: Most commonly, you’ll find display homes in new housing developments where builders construct several houses to showcase their designs and styles.
- In dedicated display villages: These specially designed areas allow multiple builders to exhibit their display homes. Here, you’ll see various options from different builders in one location.
- At exhibitions and trade shows: Home builders often create display homes for home expos, trade shows, or local fairs.
Display homes aren’t limited to physical locations. You’ll sometimes encounter them through virtual tours on websites and in brochures and magazines.
Why you should explore display homes
Display homes have many benefits, especially when you’re in the market for a place of your own. Here are some of them:
- You get a realistic picture of what your future home could look like. It’s one thing to read measurements on paper and another to experience the space physically.
- These visits enable you to conduct a quality check by getting a firsthand look at the builder’s quality of work.
- They can serve as a good source of design inspiration. Display homes are professionally styled and decorated. You can get great ideas for colour schemes, furniture placement, and interior decoration by visiting them. They can inspire your home’s look and feel.
- They can be a cost-efficient way to own a home. Sometimes, display homes are sold as-is, under a turnkey solution. This means you can possess the house and all its furnishings and decorations on the spot. This can save you considerable time and effort in designing and furnishing a home.
- They can help you to gather information. Meeting with the sales representative can provide valuable insights about the builder, the house, and any other questions you might have.
Now that you know the benefits, how do you maximise your display home visits?
Maximising your display home visit
To make the most of your display home visit, consider the following insights:
- Make sure you visit multiple display homes. Don’t limit yourself to just one builder or one style of home. The more homes you see, the more informed your decision might be.
- Take notes and photos to help you recall your preferred features or designs.
- Prepare a checklist of essential features you want in your home to compare with what display homes offer. This could include the number of bedrooms, bathroom layout, kitchen style, outdoor space, etc.
The points raised here can help you maximise your visit to display homes. But what answers should you ask for when touring display homes?
Insider tips for touring display homes
When touring display homes, ensure that you gain clarity in the following sections:
- Standard vs. upgrades: Some features in a display home might not be part of the base price. They could be upgrades that cost extra. Always ask what’s standard and what’s an upgrade.
- Understand the total cost: Always request a detailed cost breakdown to fully understand all the expenses associated with purchasing the home. In some cases, additional charges could come from the construction process, permits, and closing.
- Ask whether the display home is up for sale. This could be a cheaper way to acquire a new home. Builders often dispose of display homes at the end of the showcase period.
With these questions answered satisfactorily, feel free to decide on the property.
Visit a display home today
Display homes can prove to be an important touchpoint on the road to getting your dream house. Visiting one may give you the perspective you need to make the right choice. Even if you don’t buy one, you’ll still walk away knowing better what you want and what you don’t.
Look for open showcases in your neighbourhood and get all the knowledge you need!